CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Are You A Virtuous Woman Or Not? Proverbs 31 Part 1

I really felt that this was a needed subject on my blog. I think it's probably because I fall so short of being the virtuous woman that God wants me to be. This is more for me than any of you ladies that might be reading this. I pray it's a blessing to you.

The definition of virtuous in the Noah Webster's 1828 Dictionary is morally good; it also says it means chaste (which has a definition of pure; free from obscenity; genuine)

Proverbs 31:10-Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies. (a ruby is a precious stone) So, God considers a virtuous woman very precious. It's not the monetary value of a ruby that is meant here. It's what we do and what we are.
11The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil. Can your husband trust you? Can he trust that you don't gossip about him? That what he tells you stays with you? That you will reverence him? (Ephesians 5:33) Does your husband have your heart? Do you have his?
12She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life. Christian means Christ-like. Are you Christ-like? There can be no evil around Christ.
13 She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands. We shouldn't be afraid of hard work. We should work willingly, not begrudgingly. From scrubbing a toilet to making a meal (well wash your hands first..), we should do it with a servant's heart.
14She is like the merchants' ships; she bringeth her food from afar. A merchant ship is strong, sturdy, and trustworthy. We should bring "food" from afar. I think this can mean the "bread of life". I feel this is witnessing to people and bringing them the gospel. I think it also means bringing food. Making a meal for a Christian friend who is sick, etc.
15She riseth also while it is yet night, and giveth meat to her household, and a portion to her maidens. A virtuous woman uses her time wisely. She rises up no matter what time it is to be of service to her husband. Fixing his breakfast or packing his lunch for the day. Preparing a meal, cleaning, whatever it is to help things to go more smoothly for the household. She helps out wherever she feels the Lord wants her to.
16She considereth a field, and buyeth it: with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.
We need to realize the value of money. My husband works hard, and I need to spend it wisely. I need to look for the best buys, and spend on needs and not wants. Not spend it friviously. Be frugal! John 15:5 says I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
17She girdeth her loins with strength, and strengtheneth her arms. We are weak in our own strength. Even if the world thinks we are strong emotionally and physically, we know, as Christians that we are weak. Sin makes us even weaker. We need to stay as sinfree as possible. We need to be as close to God as we can. One of my favorite verses is Philippians 4:13- I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Through Christ, not through us!
18She perceiveth that her merchandise is good: her candle goeth not out by night. Our merchandise is the message of Christ. Night or day, whenever God gives us an open door to witness, we need to. We need to testify to what we used to be before we got saved.
19She layeth her hands to the spindle, and her hands hold the distaff. I fall very, very short here. I need to learn to sew (I know it's never too late) Ladies, if you make your own clothes, or your family's clothes, count it as a blessing! Even if it's knitting or crocheting, it's a good thing! Teach your daughters to sew, knit, etc. I didn't and now wish I had! Maybe I need to teach the grandkids!
20She stretcheth out her hand to the poor; yea, she reacheth forth her hands to the needy
. I think is talking about being there for the brethren in their time of need. Making a meal for a family that is ill, or has been in the hospital. Taking food to a family of a passed loved one. A brother or sister is having some financial woes, buy some groceries. Things like that. It might mean giving up some of your extras to help the brethren.
21She is not afraid of the snow for her household: for all her household are clothed with scarlet. This woman makes sure her family has sufficient clothing for the season. Gloves, hats, scarves, what ever it is that they need for the weather. It also means she is steadfast in praying for her household for salvation. She knows that if her household is clothed in scarlet, it is clothed in the blood of Jesus.

I am working on verses 22-31.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the encouragement Susan! Yes, we should take our position as being wives & mothers seriously. Satan uses the world & its "things" to try to pull us from our God given position.
Love, Kat